Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Dreams of Birthday Steaks and Sleep (not necessarily in that order)

Our big accomplishment Sunday night was that we kept B out of the ER.

We were up all night, used up all the hot water in the water heater not once but three times creating a steam bath for him to help his breathing, and the poor boy was still coughing every single breath he took.

Yesterday DH stayed home with him and took him to the doctor where he was upgraded from his regular nebulizer to an inhaler with a spacer. Woohoo - this takes SO much less time than the neb treatments and seem to be working better.

Even though the doctor felt this was due to allergies (and who knows, it might still be) B developed a slight fever yesterday (which seems to be gone today), but we decided to keep him home again. Today it was my turn, so DH went to school and I got a sub. Of course, A woke up with a minor cough and convinced me that he was too sick to go to school, too. Since I was already staying home with B, I figured it was no big deal for him to stay home too. And I got a good friend to drive J to school and pick her up later, so the boys and I can just stay in.

DH had planned out a great way to celebrate my birthday (yesterday) with everyone (my parents, his parents, my sister and her family) coming over for steaks (yum!) but with B's cough and general miserableness (it's a word if I say it's a word!), that didn't happen. Ultimately my parents and sister took me out for Chinese food right around the corner from my house (in case I needed to rush back home for B). Not the way I had planned to celebrate, but still VERY nice. AND both my parents and my in-laws gifted me with a night at a hotel of my choosing, so I got the weekend of solitude I wanted! YES!!!

I have been EXTRA tired recently. I don't know if it's my body's way of telling me that I need to increase my narcolepsy medicine, that it's fighting off something (my throat is sore today), or just that I need to take it easy. Hey, maybe it's a combination of all three. Last week I actually fell asleep at the dinner table. While talking. With the kids and DH all there. Yeah, that's never happened before. I was doing okay running around, getting dinner ready, folding the laundry, all that kind of stuff, but after sitting down for a few minutes at the table an incredible wave of fatigue swept over me so extreme that I actually fell asleep. Kind of weird. Okay, REALLY weird. So now I'm working hard to be in bed going to sleep by 10, but what with a sick boy and me just not going upstairs when I should, it's really tough. No more excuses - have to do better with that one.

And for today, my two "sick" boys are playing video games (we have a cheapy plug-in system that DH bought that plays two games, but it's the coolest thing in the world to my guys) still in their pajamas (at least they're sitting on the couch while they play - if I ignore the times they're jumping up and down to cheer themselves on I can pretend they're kind of resting), so I should take advantage of this extra time at home by getting caught up on the laundry and finishing sorting through the basket full of paperwork I still have. I keep saying if I could just clear out this basket of old stuff I could stay on top of everything new coming in. Just doesn't seem to happen. But maybe today is the day.

Or maybe I'll just head upstairs and take a nap.


Domestic Goddess said...

Yikes! Glad you didn't end up at the ER. Even happier about the HOTEL STAY! WAAAAHOOOOOO!!!! That is AWESOME!
Betcha can't wait for that!

Ramblings of a crazed SAHM said...

My son has illness induced Asthma, and let me tell you... one of the happiest moments in my life was when we were given "the spacer" in place of the nebulizer. 5 seconds is so much better than the 45 minutes! I'm so jealous of your weekend get away. I SO need one of those.