Thursday, February 11, 2010

Crafty Cards

I hate boxed Valentine's Day cards. It's just a personal pet peeve of mine. I just can't stand how commericalize and impersonal they are. So this year I was thrilled that I managed to convince all three kids (and DH, who is always concerned that the kids will end up doing something so different from everyone else they will end up getting picked on) to pick a Valentine card to make to give out to their class.

J selected an idea from Family Fun magazine. We started working on it last week since she wanted to trace and cut out all the hearts (3 per Valentine) and leaves herself. I put the flowers together while J wrote the to and from on each and every leaf.
A found a different idea in the same magazine. I gave him some of my old scrapbooking paper to use and he started writing "We're Two of a kind!" on every card. After many mess-ups we soon realized that we could print out labels for him to peel and attach, which made life SO much easier. In the picture below he is giving a thumbs up to the camera.
B adapted a couple different ideas to create his splatter paint hearts.
I love that they all picked something different. I also love that we had a snow day yesterday (oh yeah, another two feet on top of the two feet we got on Saturday) so I got the chance to work with each child one at a time (something that unfortunately rarely seems to happen). I don't love the fact that we have another snow day today, the day that their Valentine's Day parties were supposed to happen (oh yeah, it was LOT of snow) but at least the parties have all been rescheduled for Tuesday, the next day the kids are in school.
I feel so crafty!

2 comments:

Preschool Playbook said...

The Valentine's turned out just great. Family Fun has such great ideas and I love the way your family pulled them off! Stay warm and take care
Trish

Domestic Goddess said...

In our school, homemade ones are the norm and are always celebrated. Bug Boy and I work hard to make sure it is unique and fun.

This year, I decided that 10 days of writing out cards and names was ridiculous. It takes Bug Boy an hour a night, spread out over ten days, to make them (fine motor woes). So this year, the two of us got on the computer, he picked out pictures and we did it together. ANd printed them. And all he had to do was write names on the envelopes. He loved it so much that we were done stuffing and writing in twenty minutes. Best Valentine's Day EVER.

Those kids will LOVE getting those valentines! They are cute. And the lollipop ones are awesome.