Friday, July 21, 2006

I'm Rubber-Mom!

I'm feeling like I'm being pulled in so many different directions that I have bolted my feet to the ground and am not moving anywhere.

Is that a picture or what?!

This happens a lot with me. I just get overwhelmed and shut down. Distracted by all the numerous things I need to do I end up doing nothing at all. ARGH!

And I know what to do about it. Make a list, set the timer for fifteen minutes, and work my way down the list. Blah, blah, blah. And when I'm done this post, that's what I'm going to do because otherwise I just can't cope. And I know there's a lot going on right now. But there's always a lot going on. And I know of many other people who have it worse off than me. And many of the things that are pulling me are really good things, but they are still things I need to/want to/feel like I should do.

I was given specific things to implement for A last week. One of them is a visual schedule with very specific things listed so he can check them off. For those of you that follow FLYlady this would be like a mini control journal for both daily chores broken down, things like "Get Dressed" with steps written underneath ("Get naked", "Put on shirt", "Put on pull-up", etc.). This would probably be best in laminated sheets for each upstairs job held together with a ring. I'd say use this with a dry-erase marker for him to cross off as he goes, but he's likely to color the walls and himself with it, so that might not work. Plus, if I make something like this for him, B and J will want one for themselves so they don't feel left out, so I need to make one for them. I was originally planning on making a poster to put on the wall with our daily routine, each thing velcroed on so it can be moved around. I might still do this. The indecision is making it difficult to move forward.

I am trying to clean out two different areas in the kids' playroom to free up space. With both of them I'm kind of at a loss as to where else to put the stuff, so I'm frozen there. I know that I can't organize clutter, and I'm trying to get rid of as much as I can, just have to sort through it all to do that.

We just got a new shed and large wooden pirate ship for the kids in the backyard. I'm THRILLED about that, but now I feel that I need to work some in my backyard to make sure things get moved into a logical, nice looking spot. As I write this, DH is digging up a small bush so he can move some large stone slabs that were found under the old shed (probably being used for a foundation) in one spot where we can put our trash cans. He also just laid some down for the BBQ. This morning he hung up hooks in the shed and put back all of our gardening tools so they were off the ground - they look great. I'm trying to focus on the inside of the house this summer but there are so many things outside that need to get attended to as well!

If you saw my Thursday Thirteen list from yesterday you read all the different projects I'm attempting to complete in the next two weeks. Enough said about that!

And then there's just the regular daily stuff that has to get done here, like the laundry, the cooking and clean up, the balancing of the checkbook and the paying of the bills, the vacumming the DR/LR so the food crumbs/chunks don't take over the house - the boring never-ending stuff that has to get done whether we like or not!

I have to make a list, prioritize it, and figure out how to do it. But I feel like that's as far as I get every day! So here goes....

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Ahh,overwhelmed and procrasinating. Sounds very familiar. And, I do the same thing, I look around, have ideas of what needs to be done and then freeze.