Monday night was great, therefore Tuesday ran really smoothly. I came downstairs to all that I had done the night before and it was wonderful. I was relaxed, my attitude towards the kids reflected in their behavior, the house looked nice. We had TWO playdates here, one in the AM and one in the PM, and I didn't feel flustered or overwhelmed, it was just a really great day.
Tuesday night, DH was only home for about an hour and a half. He played with the kids long enough for me to get all the food on their plates, then we ate. We played ouside for a little more and then he was able to start to bathe them for five minutes while I cleaned up some from dinner, and then he had to go. By the time I got everyone cleaned up and in bed, I was shot. I crashed on the couch. Big time. Didn't even totally finish cleaning up. Did not get breakfast made or lunch (we're eating at my parents' tonight so I didn't have to worry about prepping dinner), did not finish cleaning the toys or wiping down the table, cleaning off the counters. I ran the dishwasher and that's it. I didn't even go to bed early (like I should have) because I just crashed.
Therefore today has NOT run as smoothly. The kids have been whiny, I felt rushed, it just took us much longer than it should have to get moving. We had a friend over for a playdate this morning and played outside, even ended up having a picnic lunch outside on this gorgeous day. The visit was great - I love chatting with this friend, and the boys all played very nicely together! So at least there's that, but I'm kicking myself for not following through with what I had done the night before.
I analyzed what was different between the two nights. Do you think you can figure out what happened?
- DH was home and in charge of the kids all morning.
- I got to do an aerobics class in the morning.
- I got a lot accomplished during the day while he was in charge.
- I taught Hebrew School at night, so I had energy when I got home at 8:15.
- DH went back to school, so I got up at 6:30 with the kids.
- I got very little accomplished during the day, but mainly for good reason (friends over).
- No exercise, unless you count pushing all three kids at the same time on the swings.
- Nowhere that I had to be at night, so I sat down on the couch (big mistake).
See the differences?!!
A friend had recently suggested taking a shower right after putting the kids to bed. She was talking about how she did this to avoid hearing her baby cry for those first ten minutes, but I think it would help me a lot to wake me up and not let me sit down right away. I think then I'd be able to at least get things ready for tomorrow before sitting. I know that would make a huge difference. So....I'm showering tonight! We'll see how that goes.